Pitt Bull or Poodle
Well, I'm not really a big fan of Doug Giles, but any article that starts out with a quote like this:
“It is a funny thing about life—if you refuse to accept anything but the best you very often get it.” W. Somerset Maugham
is usually worth reading. So his premise is basically that on the two ends of the success pendululm are Pit Bulls and Poodles. I can think of a lot of cooler dog comparisons - Jack Russel Terriers and Lhaso Ahpsos or Shi Tzu's but that's not really important. Anyway, it does pretty much get to the heart of what makes you successful or not.
Pit Bull Test
1. Do you have a definite purpose backed up by a burning desire to see it fulfilled?
2. Are you continuously in action working on your plan?
3. Is your mind closed towards all negative and discouraging influences from foes, “friends,” dysfunctional parents, music, books, tapes, T.V. etc?
4. Do you hang out with people who are greater than you in what they have accomplished and who utterly challenge you to excellence?
5. Are you self-reliant and independent?
6. Do you take responsibility for your life, both failures and successes?
7. Do you hate it when you waste time?
8. Do you look at life as a game to be played and played like a champion?
9. Have you become impervious to the criticisms of pusillanimous men and women?
10. Do you boldly face your fears with faith and move towards your goals?
1. Do you often complain about your life?
2. Do you avoid association with people who have accomplished more than you?
3. Does your life seem futile and your future hopeless?
4. Do you often feel self-pity?
5. Are you envious of those who excel you?
6. Do you worry a lot?
7. Are you overly cautious and negative?
8. Are you indifferent and lacking in ambition and enthusiasm?
9. Do you constantly use excuses and alibis to explain why you haven’t accomplished anything?
10. Do you often fantasize about lying on the front passenger seat of a Cadillac with a pink ribbon in your hair with your favorite chew toy?