How to set the SMTP Port in TFS 2010
- You are configuring SMTP Settings for TFS 2010 and want to specify a different port for your SMTP server than the default port (which would be port 25)
Figure: TFS 2010 does not allow to set a custom SMTP port.
Solution #1: Change config file
- As answered here and here, you could add the following XML to the TfsJobAgent.exe.config file (usually located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\TFSJobAgent):
- Keep in mind that this is only valid for TFS notifications itself and not for notifcations from SQL Server Reporting Services or the SharePoint-based Project Portal.
The Solution #2: Install a local SMTP server
- Install the SMTP Service on Windows Server and ask it to route all SMTP traffic to a different SMTP server.
- On the Delivery tab, click Advanced, an enter the SMTP server name as "smart host".
- On the Delivery tab, click Outbound Connections, and set the TCP port (= SMTP port).
Figure: Setting up a local SMTP server has the great benefit that you can use it SMTP for other applications, too (like notifications from SQL Server Reporting Services or SharePoint).