Checklist: Things to have prepared *before* starting a new TFS install
Especially if you don't have the fastest internet connection and/or are not too organized in storing your MSDN DVDs properly it's worth preparing all files and DVDs before heading towards an install of TFS:
Here's the list of things you'll definitely need for a fresh TFS installation:
- Team Foundation Installation Guide (Download latest version here)
- In large organizations: Request »TFSService« and »TFSReports«
Don't forget to request the two domain accounts (TFSService and TFSReports) in time!
- Windows Server 2003 installation files (media or files)
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (Download here)
Note: Run Windows Update afterwards and install all Post-SP2 updates.
- SQL Server 2005 installation files (media or files)
- SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (Download here)
Note: You do not have to install SP1 or the hotfix provided with TFS if you install SP2 instead.
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 with Service Pack 2 (Download here)
- Team Foundation Server CD (media or files)
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Quiescence GDR (Download here; read KB919156)
Apply to: TFS or both tiers if dual-server install
- Team Foundation Server SP1 (Download here)
Apply to: TFS or both tiers if dual-server install, and Team Build Server
- Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite SP1 (Download here)
Apply to: All machines with Team Foundation Client installed.