Trust Relationship between Domain and Member
When you log on to domain you may receive the following error:
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.
This may happen because of the following reasons:
1. Machine account for the member computer wasn't updated with PDC within 30 days or maximumpasswordage registry entry was set too low and that time PDC wasn't available.
2. Member computer account is not known by domain and has lost its GUID.
This is absloutely a Netlogon Secure channel issue.
To recover from this:
1. Start Windows 2000 Server.
2. Let the login screen come up. (Do not try to get in). TCP/IP stack is loaded properly here.
3. Next use *Netdom* utility (remotely) to reset computer account for this workstation. You can do so from a member computer or PDC itself.
You can run this command remotely on a computer that interacts with desktop using PSEXEC from www.sysinternals.com
Netdom utility is part of Support Tools.
Sometimes you may get above error if Netlogon service is stopped for no reason. You can start this service using MMC console from a member computer.