"You decide to order some software from an unknown online seller. The price is so low you just can’t pass it up. What could go wrong?
Plenty. Whether you’re downloading it or buying a physical disc, the odds are good that the product is pirated and laced with malicious software, or malware.
Is Your Software Pirated?
Possible signs of what to look for:
- No packaging, invoice, or other documentation…just a disc in an envelope
- Poor quality labeling on the disc, which looks noticeably different than the labeling on legitimate software
- Software is labeled as the full retail version but only contains a limited version
- Visible variations (like lines or differently shaded regions) on the underside of a disc
- Product is not wrapped correctly and is missing features like security tape around the edges of the plastic case
- Typos in software manuals or pages printed upside down
- User is required to go a website for a software activation key (often a ploy to disseminate additional malware)"
More here: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2013/august/pirated-software-may-contain-malware/pirated-software-may-contain-malware