A call for help - can you help us work out why some people have trouble printing emails after installing IE7?
Update: A hotfix has been released for the problem of emails printing in tiny font:
HOTFIX: The email message header does not print when you try to print an email message by using either Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or Microsoft Outlook Express
UPDATE: THANKS TO THE TRUST AND GOOD FAITH OF SEVERAL READERS OF THIS BLOG, AND MY WEB SITE, WE HAVE RECEIVED SAMPLE EMAILS THAT CAUSE THE PRINTING PROBLEMS. THE IE TEAM WERE ABLE TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM USING THOSE EMAILS. A FIX IS IN THE WORKS AND WILL BE RELEASED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I WILL BLOG ABOUT THIS AS SOON AS IT IS AVAILABLE.
We need your help.
There are reports that IE7 is causing problems when printing emails from Outlook or Outlook Express such as:
- OE6 emails print without headers
- Messages appearing in tiny font at the top left of page
Unfortunately we cannot reproduce the problem. If we can't make it happen on our computers, then we can't work out what's wrong, and we can't tell you how to fix it.
So, this is what we need from you.
If, for example, you have an Outlook email that loses its headers when printed please save the email as a .msg file and send it to me. Similarly, if you have an Outlook Express email that prints with very tiny fonts, save the email as an .eml file and send it to me.
I understand that by doing this I am asking you to send to me stuff that you may feel is personal and private, but all I can do is ask you to trust that I, and the IE team, will not abuse your good faith, and hope that you have an email available, such as spam or something from a mailing list, that you feel more comfortable sending to me.
When you send the emails to me please tell me:
1. What version of IE you are running.
2. What type of printer you have (exact model and make).
3. Tell me if you have installed the latest printer drivers.
4. Have you tried adjusting your print margins, which has been known to help the problem.
5. Please tell us exactly what problem you are having. That is, don't say "this won't print properly". We need to know exactly what you mean by "won't print properly".
PLEASE CLICK ON THE WWW.IE-VISTA.COM ADVERTISEMENT TO LEFT OF SCREEN, THEN CLICK ON THE "CONTACT SANDI" LINK TO AUTO-GENERATE AN EMAIL THAT YOU CAN USE TO SEND THE EMAILS.