Upgrade from TR to RTM Work Around
Looks like at least one problem has snuck through that needs a work around. If you are getting errors like:
User Profiles and Properties Page: An error has occurred while accessing the SQL Server database or the Office SharePoint Server Search service. If this is the first time you have seen this message, try again later. If this problem persists, contact your administrator.
Search Settings: The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress.
Then you need to perform the following work around.
- Go to the operations tab in Central Administration
- Click on services on server
Find the Office SharePoint Server Search and click the Stop button to its right
- You will get a message asking "Are you sure you want to uninstall the Office SharePoint Server Search service from this server?" Click OK.
- Now go back and start the Office SharePoint Server Search and click Start
- Now perform an iisreset.
- It sometimes takes up to 5 minutes for search and profiles to begin working.
Shane SharePoint Help