I was trying out the new Visual Studio 2010 Beta with support for the new .NET FX 4 Beta, and have just found out that Microsoft has not included the support for Smart Device Development such as Windows Mobile and Windows CE.
Although this might come as a surprise to some, if you think about it, this seems like the logical step towards being on the same level as the competitors Apple and Google that provide free IDE’s for developers to write code for their mobile platforms.
This could very well also be the correct time to introduce some new tools and controls that developers have been anxious to have in order to make their applications look more cool.
I guess we will have to wait and see…
Microsoft has just announced Windows Mobile 6.5 availability and which devices will be the first ones to receive the upgrade.
According to Microsoft the first Windows Mobile 6.5 devices will be available on the second half of 2009.
The first official upgrades will go to the following devices:
- HTC Touch Diamond 2
- HTC Touch Pro 2
- LG HQ
- LG Eigen
- Four non disclosed new Acer devices
Also the all devices that do not meet the minimum hardware requirements: devices running a 400 Mhz processor and 128MB of RAM, will not eligible for the upgrade. Off course that ultimately the maker will have the last word on this subject.
Portuguese mobile operator TMN has recently released an exclusive new Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional device at a new low cost of 179 eur.
Though the TMN Bluebelt (commercial name) has a low cost the specs are quite top notch:
- Size: 11,4 x 6,6 x 1,19 cm
- Weight: 139 grs.
- OS: Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
- Processor: 528Mhz Qualcomm 7225 ARM1136EJ-S
- Memory: 256 MB Flash ROM , 128 MB SDRAM
- Screen: 2,5 inch QVGA TFT touchscreen, 256K colors - 320 x 240 pixels
- Networks: GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS2100
- Data connections: GPRS, EDGE, 3G HSDPA: 7.2 Mbps, Hsupa 2.0Mbps
- Expansion slot: microSD
- USB v2.0 client, (12Mbit/s)
- Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP
- Wifi: 802.11b, 802.11g
- Main Camera: 3.2MP with auto-focos and flash
- Front Camera: VGA (640x480 )
- Battery: Lithium-ion, 1300mAh
- Radio FM
More info at the TMN website and from ZTE Mobile.
You can also check out the full review here.