Just Released: ALM Rangers Build Customization Guide
The Visual Studio ALM Rangers, which I’m a proud member of, today released v1.0 of a new set of guidance for TFS 2010 Build Customization. This is a project that has been under development for quite some time and includes lots of great material related to build management using the TFS 2010 build system. We’ve tried to focus on real-life scenarios so I think this guide will contain stuff interesting to anyone working with TFS builds.
If you just want to go and get the release then get it from the Rangers Build Customization Guide at Codeplex.
And for those interested in more about what’s in the release, here’s the overview from the project site:
The solution is divided in separate packages to give you the choice of selective downloads. The default download is the first of the listed packages:
- Guidance contains scenario based practical guidance, frequently asked questions and quick reference posters
- Selected PDF contains guidance and quick reference posters in PDF format only.
- Complete contains guidance, quick reference posters and localization files in all available formats.
- Hands-on Labs (HOL) includes:
- HOL documents that provide walkthroughs of the technology, based on the guidance
- HOL Package contains a HOL environment setup package allowing you to setup the HOL environment in your own environment
- BRDLite Build Process Reference Template walk-through.
- Samples contains sample build process templates used by the team as part of the guidance.
- Videos which showcase the guidance in quick 5-10min videos.
The Epics included in the guidance are:
- Practical guidance and tooling to simplify the customization of Team Foundation Build
- Practical guidance to use Team Foundation Build process templates to automate build and non-build scenarios in Microsoft environments
- Practical guidance to enable simple and flexible deployment of applications and their data stores
- Practical guidance for Activities to empower developers and build engineers
- Quality hands-on labs that complement the guidance and effectively guide the user through the features
- Visualization of the guidance using quick reference posters