MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Because I am testing Microsoft Vista™ RC1 and I was curious to see Navision on Vista™, I tried to install it. Installation is not a problem. Native client is working without problems too. But biggest problem is a so small part of Navision as MDAC version detection is. This is biggest problem when you want connect Navision to some MS SQL server. You will got error about wrong MDAC version. Source of problem is the unified versioning of all DLL which are part of the Vista™. Navision is detecting MDAC version through File version of SQL ODBC driver – sqlsrv32.dll. On Windows XP you can see version like 2000.85.1117.0 etc. But under Vista™, the file has version 6.0.5600.16384 and this is “less" than requested version. Changing MDAC detection in Navision is no way.

But after some “hacking” you can succeed. There is the workaround:

Prepare the modified DLL:

1. You need some resource editor tool, for example the Resource Hacker application
  2. Copy the file sqlsrv32.dll from your Vista system32 folder to another place.
  3. Open this copy in the resource editor
  4. Change FILEVERSION value to new value e.g. 2000.85.1117.0 (in the header of Version info ressource)
  5. Compile the resource
  6. Save the file (backup original file!)

Now you need to copy the file back into system32 folder. But under Vista™, this is not easy task. The file cannot be changed because just installer has enough rights.

Replacing original file with modified one:

1. Open properties of the original file
  2. On the Security tab click Advanced
  3. On the Owner tab click Edit
  4. Select new owner of the file, for example your account
  5. Commit all changes
  6. Change permissions for your account to have all rights
  7. Commit all changes
  8. Now you are able to delete the file – delete it
  9. Copy the modified file into system32 folder

Now, you are ready to use Navision with SQL Option under Vista™!

I hope, that this will help you to be able to test Vista™ when you are working with Navision.

I tested it on Vista™ RC1 and Navision 4.00SP2+rollup update.

Of course, all this you are doing on your own risk. This is not official workaround and is not supported in any way. Changing original files in any way can be prohibited with local law or license policy.

Published Thu, Sep 14 2006 13:26 by kine
Filed under:

Comments

# Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.x and Windows Vista

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.x and Windows Vista

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:28 AM by STEFANO DEMILIANI

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 9:55 AM by Bruno Santos

Really works great!!!

Thank you!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:53 AM by Alexism

Hi.

I have a problem. I am the first at my company installing Vista and we have Navision 3.70

Instalation went fine, but I am not being able even to open up the program. It says that it stopped working and windows will close the program.

Can anyone help me, please?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:19 PM by Nelson

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Sorry, but I have bad news for you. Navision 3.70 is not compatible with Vista, and because the support for it has ended, I assume that there will be no compatibility patch for it. You will need to do technical upgrade to newver version. But there is no released version fully compatible with Vista now.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:24 PM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

I have a problem with MDAC 6.0 for Vista.  Actually, I was unaware that Vista came with a version of MDAC and "overwrote" it with MDAC 2.8, 2.8 sp1, and a security patch.  I'm not even sure any of these installed correctly either.  My problem is - how do I remove these three foolish MDAC updates that I made to Vista?  I've tried using the component checker and I'm confused...please help.

Jeff

Saturday, March 03, 2007 2:19 PM by Jeff

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

I am surprised that it was possible to install this version of MDAC under Vista. If the MDAC is not available for uninstall in Add and Remove Software control panel, you can try to use restore to some saved Checkpoint - see Start Menu - Maintenance - Backup and Maintenance - Repair Windows... (on the left panel)  I do not know exact names, I have localized Vista and I dont know the english names...

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:43 AM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Thanks!It was really help.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:23 PM by Sang Nguen Thanh - NETiKA

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

I have used in navision 4.0 sp2 in windows 2003 server.I upgrade one client machine in vista,if try to connect navision mdac error occured.What i do.

By

Mariyappan.J

Mail id :mariyappan@everonn.com

Thursday, April 19, 2007 6:37 AM by Mariyappan

Dear Mariyappan,

best will be if you do technical upgrade to NAV 4.0SP3 with compatibility update for Vista. In this case you will not have any problem and you will not need to modify anything.

But if you want to use SP2, have you read this article? If yes, why are you asking "what to do"? :-)

Thursday, April 19, 2007 6:50 AM by kine

I don't have navision sp3 so that i ask

Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:32 PM by mariyappan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Download the SP3 is not problem, or it is?

If you are unable to use SP3 (but I do not know why), all what you need is in this article. If you do not understand something particular, ask question, but be more precise what is the problem and what you do not understand. ;-)

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:11 AM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Thank you for your hope.

The Error Message is:

The Sql server ODBC driver on your computer is not a recent enough version.

Before the driver can be used by Microsoft Business you must upgrade it,along with the network libraries and supporting files, to version 2000.85.1022 or late.

This can be done by installing the latest version of Microsoft soluations-Navision,choosing the MDAC Component of a Custom installation.

You can also upgrade it by installing the sql server client tools or the microsoft MADC Component.

----------------

I also update MDAC Componet in vista client Machine.Same error message display.

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:42 AM by mariyappan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

The above Error message display in navision 4.0 sp2.I use only above version only give soluation

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:45 AM by mariyappan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Once again: have you read my article? The article describe what you need to do to not have this version error under Vista. There is no other solution than the one described here. Do you understand this? You need to change the version of sqlsrv.dll manually.

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:49 AM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

It seems that I do not understand your sentence "I use only above version only give soluation". What does it mean? That you are using NAV 4.0SP3?

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:02 AM by kine

1 VERSIONINFO

FILEVERSION 2000,85,1117,0

PRODUCTVERSION 3,85,1117,0

FILEOS 0x40004

FILETYPE 0x2

{

BLOCK "StringFileInfo"

{

BLOCK "040904B0"

{

VALUE "CompanyName", "Microsoft Corporation"

VALUE "FileDescription", "Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver"

VALUE "FileVersion", "2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

VALUE "InternalName", "SQLSRV32"

VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright © Microsoft Corporation 1990-2000"

VALUE "OriginalFilename", "SQLSRV32"

VALUE "ProductName", "Microsoft SQL Server"

VALUE "ProductVersion", "3.85.1117"

}

}

BLOCK "VarFileInfo"

{

VALUE "Translation", 0x0409 0x04B0

}

}

I try to open in vista system32 file through resource header the above message is display .how to change file virsion.I think file version is correct

Friday, April 20, 2007 4:53 AM by mariyappan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Sorry but your previous posts scored in automatic SPAM filter, I needed to publish them manually.

1) there is no MDAC update for Vista. If you sucessfully installed one, something can be wrong now because this update. I recommend to not install such a update.

2) The version of your file seems correct. The problem will be somewhere else (may be because the "update". I tied it before too and I know that there were other problems when I installed MDAC for win XP under Vista.)

Sunday, April 22, 2007 11:16 AM by kine

Great, it works.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:59 AM by Thuan Ta - Vietnam

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

you are genius, it really solved my problem, thank you very much

Monday, June 11, 2007 8:05 PM by Mah

yo~~~thanks..it's work

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:40 PM by Chris Gan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

really works!!! yer really saved me some big bucks there mate. cheers!

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:39 AM by vid

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Thank You very much, this was very helpfull.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 5:01 AM by Tom

I try install navision 4.0(sp3).I got unknown lanuage error.What i do

Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:12 AM by Mariyappan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

If you are partner, see mbs.microsoft.com/.../KBDisplay.aspx.

(KB 931841)

If you are customer, ask your partner for needed updates.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 11:50 PM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Please help , is Navison 4.0 compatible with windows Vista home premium OS. navision is insatalled successfully but when I try to open It throws error as 'Unknown Language 630302' pls help what to do

Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:04 AM by Seema

For all:

NAV 4.0 is compatible with Vista since SP3 + Compatibility Rollup Updates!!!

If you are partner, ask Microsoft for latest Vista rollup updates for you country version of NAV 4.00SP3. If you are customer, ask your partner...

More about Vista compatibility can be found on www.mibuso.com forum.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:54 AM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

I don't have such resource editor application, will you share your edited sqlsrv32.dll file to me?

Thanks.

-- stupidzt@yahoo.com --

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:38 PM by stupidzt

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

You do not need it anymore, just upgrade to SP3 + updates. It is much better e.g. because the Standard security model which means that synchronizing permissions take just less than one second.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:34 AM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Recently I was trying to install the Navision Database server in Windows Vista. (Navision 4.0. SP3) While installing the Navision Database Server I am getting an error and the installation gets cancelled.

The error message is given below for solutions.

"This program has known compatability issues".

Friday, September 07, 2007 10:49 AM by R.Srinivasan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

ok.  Thank you for your response.

Friday, September 07, 2007 10:50 AM by R.Srinivasan

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

"This program has known compatability issues"

Yes, it has. You need to install the compatibility updates for SP3 to have these issues solved. If you are MS partner, contact MS, if you are end-user, contact your partner.

Monday, September 10, 2007 12:23 AM by kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

Cheers bro, you saved what little hair I have left!

Monday, October 15, 2007 1:20 PM by Clayton

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

I tried your above described steps with NAV 4.0 SP2 and Vista X64.

My problem is, after I copy the DLL back into the SYSTEM32 folder, the changed version info is reseted and replaced with the original value of the file.

All changes are discarded.

Any hint on this issue?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:14 AM by M. Buescher

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

The Vista (and XP) has mechanism which protect system files from change. You need to disable this. But today is better to do technical upgrade to NAV 4.00SP3 + updates and you do not need to change anything on your PC.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:41 AM by Kine

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

I have VISTA an NAVI SP3, I have change the version in dll file, its not working. I have an error internal error 47-1, can u help ?

Friday, November 09, 2007 9:24 AM by Bojan Varga

# re: MBS Navision with MS SQL Option and Vista™ RC1

This "workaround" is just for SP2. If you have SP3 ask your partner or if you are partner ask Microsoft for needed updates for SP3.

Friday, November 09, 2007 10:23 AM by kine