.NET Framework 4.0 Beta 2 Installation Error: Unable to create or save new files in the folder...
When trying to install the .NET Framework 4.0 Beta 2 on the Windows partition of my Macbook Pro, I encountered this error:
Unable to create or save new files in the folder into which
the files are being extracted. Please check the folder properties
to ensure you have permission on the folder to
write files and that the folder is not read-only.
Apparently, Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 is trying to extract files into my Mac partition--even though i didn't tell it to do this!
To fix this problem:
1. Launch Control Panel
2. Select System and Security
3. Select Administrative Tools
4. Double-click Computer Management to launch the Computer Management Console
5. Select the Disk Management node in the left pane
6. In the right pane, right-click the Mac drive (E: in my case)
7. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths... from the shortcut menu
8. In the Change Drive Letter and Paths dialog, select the Mac drive and click the Remove button
9. When the Disk Management dialog is displayed, click Yes to the confirmation question.
10. When the second Disk Management dialog is displayed, click Yes again to continue.
Now .NET Framework Beta 2 installs without a hitch!
Chief Architect, MM .NET Application Framework