WinINSTALL acquired by Scalable Software
Scalable Software Limited, a leader in IT Asset Lifecycle Management solutions, announced on June 30, 2008 that it has completed the acquisition of the WinINSTALL® Desktop Management business from Attachmate of Seattle, Wash. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Rod Trent writes in his myITforum blog: "The WinInstall software management application has been passed around more than Aunt Betty during an early 70’s key party". Well, the history as far as I recall it:
- WinINSTALL was originally developed by OnDemand Software.
- When the free WinINSTALL 2000 LE edition was included on the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server CD, the product was owned by Veritas.
- On June 28, 2002 it was re-acquired by OnDemand Software, Inc.
- On March 7, 2006 AttachmateWRQ (now Attachmate Corporation) acquired the company and the product. On a side note: Thoma Cressy Bravo (TCB), the investment firm that acquired InstallShield from Macrovision, also has an investment interest in Attachmate.
- On June 30, 2008 Scalable Software LLC acquired the WinINSTALL business unit from Attachmate.
From the web site it seems like WinINSTALL isn't exactly up to date to the latest techologies. When it says that it "supports the latest MSI schema" that probably doesn't include MSI 4.5. The system requirements for the WinINSTALL Console list Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. WinINSTALL ships with MSDE 8 but also supports SQL Server 2000 and Oracle 9i. No mention of SQL Server 2005, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.