When Giants Collide
Over the last few months there has been a big change in the Internet Giants. Google buys YouTube and then DoubleClick. To a lesser extent Yahoo buys RightMedia, and now Microsoft buys aQuantive ...
For Google, DoubleClick was a good fit as they were already in use at YouTube, and why pay for your advertising when you can own the company ... makes sense to me ...
Traffic Rank for youtube.com: 4
Traffic Rank for google.com: 3
Traffic Rank for doubleclick.com: 221
For Microsoft, aQuantive was a good fit as MS/MSN was already using atdmt.com
Traffic Rank for microsoft.com: 12
Traffic Rank for atdmt.com: 427
Yahoo already owned 20% of RightMedia so they just purchased the other 80%.
Traffic Rank for yahoo.com: 1
It will be interesting to see how things play out in the next few months ... the Microsoft/aQuantive deal is set to finalize in the first quarter of 2008, and the Google/DoubleClick deal is pending.
Yahoo already uses DoubleClick, but once the deal is completed will Yahoo pay Google to run their advertising? ... I think not, maybe that's where RightMedia comes in? Yahoo also uses advertising.com (now owned by AOL) but AOL uses Google for their search engine.
I think we shall see some rather big changes in the advertising world once everything settles down.