PDF Security best practices from PC Magazine
As a top safety tip, recommend moving to version 11 of Adobe Reader as it offers sandbox security controls that help better mitigate scripting attacks
QUOTE: Cyber-attackers frequently trick users into opening PDF files containing malicious code. Once opened, the code triggers security flaws in Adobe Reader and Acrobat and compromises the victim's entire computer. Read on for tips on how to be safe when opening PDF files.
Key summary of safety tips include:
1. Keep your PDF reader up-to-date with the latest patches and versions.
2. Always avoid updates from unofficial sites.
3. Use of alternate PDF readers can help mitigate risks
4. Disable it in the Browser
5. Do not open PDF files from unknown sources.