Facebook - Seven Simple techniques to stay safe
At the bottom is a post that was shared with all of my Facebook contacts ... In using this great resource professionally and to learn more about best practices, the following basic techniques can help in avoiding malware, privacy, or content issues:
1. Avoid all LINKS unless you are sure it is safe to visit or LIKE that site
2. Never accept contacts without reviewing their profile page first to ensure they are a good fit
3. Also if you choose to use a Facebook application, ensure it is a safe mainstream application used by many. Remove any questionable applications from your profile (I have zero FB apps as a non-gamer).
4. Never click on FB email links that actually or appear to come from Facebook as this may be a phishing attack or spoofed URLs ... Instead go to Facebook directly to review activity
5. Use the risk management principle of avoidance and always THINK BEFORE YOU CLICK -- I've helped some friends fix infections from Facebook attacks and there is a constant need to think of safety. Don't click or go to places that might be not be safe. And even good and traditionally safe sites can be attacked and injected with malware, so that they become unsafe temporarily until the attacks are discovered and removed.
6. Think about Privacy and ramp up your settings ... Please see last link offered in this more detailed post below for screen-by-screen techniques in improving Privacy settings:
7. Be careful what you say and twice as careful in what you write. While folks should have fun, don't get too carried away in public sharing as it creates a PERMANENT RECORD which may be difficult to remove later (esp. when searching for a job)
QUOTE: VIRUS ALERT - Many have THE BIBLE as a feed and they have just warned to AVOID ALL VIDEO LINKS offered. Their site was highjacked and they have since fixed this issue. PLEASE BE CAREFUL - It is safe to LIKE PLAIN TEXT posts, but please be careful with links, URLs, & Video feeds - unless you are sure it is safe. Also, when accepting new contacts, ALWAYS CHECK OUT PROFILE PAGE first as a safety precaution.