Microsoft Security Essentials - How to Install on 64 bit systems
Below are MSE installation instructions for users who have the 64 bit versions of Vista or Windows 7 installed
1. Uninstall any previous Anti-virus products (esp. the 60 day trial AV products that may have come with your system)
2. Reboot your system to ensure a clean start
3. Go the WINDOWS UPDATE site and click on EXPRESS to install all updates for improved protection. There is a Malicious Software Removal Tool which will clean up major virus or spyware infections that could be present on your system.
4. In order to download MSE, your system must be WGA compliant. At this site Click on VALIDATE BUTTON to ensure your system is WGA compliant
5. Then visit Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) site and click DOWNLOAD Button
TIP: there is also an Installation Video to guide in this process you can watch 1st if desired using Media Player
6. Manually Download latest virus definitions
7. After downloading, click on MPAM-FEX64.EXE and it will automatically install lastest definitions in a couple of minutes.
8. Reboot system to ensure MSE starts automatically
9. Launch Microsoft Security Essentials from Start Menu and select FULL SCAN to ensure your system is malware free. This may take an hour or so depending on the size of system.
10. Ensure your system is set for AUTOMATIC UPDATES (the WIndows Update process in step 1 above allows you to select this option
QUOTE: Microsoft Security Essentials is a free download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple