Common Tasks

Recent Posts


Email Notifications

Personal Links


Security Protection - Harry Waldron (CS)

Security Best Practices, Breaking News, & Updates

MS08-078 - Windows Update error 0x80072EE2 resolved on one PC

My corporate Dell XP SP3 laptop with IE7 updated fine and no issues have been seen so far

Our family Dell XP SP3 Desktop with IE8 b2 consistently terminated with a 0x80072EE2 abend after multiple attempts. As part of the update process, I had to install the new version of WU on one of my PCs that I had not used recently.

What I've usually done to resolve any WU issue is simply enter Windows Update 0x80072EE2 in an Internet search engine (e.g., Google, Live, Yahoo, etc). Searching on error codes usually lands you in at a forum or KB with ideas to try.

After quick Internet search on the error code, I found this helpful KB and tried some of the solutions.

I added the revised Windows Update URL to trusted sites and disabled my AV software, but still kept experiencing the 0x80072EE2 abend.

What finally worked for me was to delete all browser cache. In IE8, the "Delete All" tab in the "Delete Browsing History" options can reset the IE8 environment completely. I was then able to successfully update IE8 with the patch

However as the KB notes, 0x80072EE2 is an Internet Timeout issue. Hopefully everyone was updating last night, and Microsoft's Windows Update site may have been saturated at the time. Perhaps in the half hour timeframe of trying solutions, connectivity to the site improved and clearing the prior cache wasn't a factor.

The clearing of browser cache might be an idea to try if all else fails.

Comments said:

Related Blog Entries

# December 19, 2008 2:49 AM

Gaurav said:

Just wanted to say your solution works perfectly. I just tried to update, got the error, cleared cache and then updated again, successfully. This was all in a timeframe of 10 mins or so. Definitely a browser issue.

# January 1, 2009 12:59 AM