Corporate Laptop and Notebook Security
Unfortunately laptop and notebook theft is a TOP security exposure. The following are some ideas for improved corporate security:
1. The likelihood of laptop theft increases dramatically during travel. If the remote office has empty available workstations and the user doesn't need a laptop outside the office, they can place their documents & work files on the network and avoid traveling with it.
2. Make sure the user checks it in with hotel security when practical if they will be gone for a long period of time.
3. Data encryption should be used on sensitive and confidential files.
4. Tactifully emphasize to traveling professionals how prevelant laptop theft is (e.g., include articles on website or feature in company newsletter).
5. Label laptops with company identification tags (hopefully in a way that might be difficult for the theft to remove/alter).
6. Include "return information" on the label in case a laptop is lost and not stolen.
7. For laptops with highly confidential information, biometrics, BIOS passwords, SecureID, smart cards, and other 2 factor authentication methods can be used.