Microsoft Office SP2 ready to download!
The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) was released yesterday, so hurry up to download the 290MB file!
The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides customers with the latest updates to the 2007 Office suite (the products that are affected by this update are listed below). This download includes two types of fixes:
- Previously unreleased fixes that were made specifically for this service pack.
- In addition to general product fixes, this includes improvements in stability, performance, and security.
- You can find out more information in Knowledge Base Article 953195, where product-specific changes are described.
- All of the Public Updates, Security Updates, Cumulative Updates, and Hotfixes released through February 2009.
Before installing this service pack, you are strongly encouraged to read 953195, which describes some big improvements introduced by SP2, and also calls out some important information that you should be aware of before installing.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you attempt to install this update and get a message saying that the update failed, please refer to Knowledge Base Article 968173. It describes a set of requirements and other issues that may cause the installation to fail, and gives instructions on how to fix them.
Install SP2 for Other Office Products
If you have other Office products installed, please be sure to update them as well. A full list of SP2 releases for Office products is available in the Knowledge Base Article 968170.
To Remove this Download
Service Pack 2 is the first service pack to support uninstall of client patches through both the command line and the use of the Microsoft Service Pack Uninstall Tool. The Service Pack Uninstall Tool is available as a separate download. For more information about this tool, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 954914.
But for me, and certainly for most of the readers of this blog, the most interesting improvements are Outlook related. Here’s a summary of the Outlook improvements taken from KB 953195:
Microsoft Office Outlook
For more information about these improvements and details about other Outlook fixes, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Outlook 2007 improvements in the 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2.
- Performance improvements that apply to the following general responsiveness areas:
- Startup - Removes lengthy operations from initial startup.
- Shutdown - Makes Outlook exit predictably despite pending activities.
- Folder View and Switch - Improves view rendering and folder switching.
- Calendar improvements
Improves underlying data structures and the general reliability of calendar updates.
- Data file checks
Greatly reduces the number of scenarios in which you receive the following error message when you start Outlook: The data file 'file name' was not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems.
- Search reliability
Improves search reliability when you use SP2 with Windows Desktop Search 4.
- Improvements to Really Simple Syndication (RSS)
There are now fewer duplicated items.
- Object Model improvements
Now contains many customer-driven fixes.