Microsoft Online Migration Toolkit
Microsoft is definitely committed to promoting its online services.
The Microsoft Online Migration Toolkit is composed by planning materials to help your organization migrate from on-premise Microsoft Exchange Servers to Exchange Online. The toolkit includes sample migration planning materials including: project plan, communication plan, tracking spreadsheet, procedures, e-mail templates, Known Issues and FAQ.
Here's an excerpt from the Migration Project Checklist:
- Identify migration project manager.
- Build migration project team.
- Build migration Support team.
- Develop migration project plan.
- Develop migration procedures.
- Develop migration communication plan.
- Develop migration tracking process.
- Configure Microsoft® Online for your organization.
- Establish e-mail coexistence.
- Establish directory synchronization.
- Validate your migration plan and procedures.
- Qualify people for migration.
- Identify and track people to be migrated.
- Users perform Before Migration procedures.
- Activate the Microsoft Online accounts.
- Migrate mailbox content.
- Perform post migration validation.
- Send Welcome communication.
- Users perform After Migration procedures.
- Users complete post-migration survey.
- Delete local Microsoft Exchange Server mailboxes.
- Enable incoming e-mail.
Microsoft expects half of Exchange inboxes to be hosted in five years.