Managing Exchange Messaging Services by Using Metrics
Great, great document from the Microsoft IT team: Managing Exchange Messaging Services by Using Metrics.
This white paper covers:
- The business value of monitoring and managing Exchange messaging services as an end-to-end business service.
- The team roles that Microsoft IT uses in monitoring and managing its Exchange messaging services.
- The meaning of Exchange messaging service management.
- The components of Exchange messaging service management.
- The metrics that Microsoft IT uses for monitoring and managing its Exchange messaging services.
- The processes that Microsoft IT uses for managing its Exchange messaging services.
- The products and technologies that Microsoft IT uses to monitor and manage Exchange messaging services (including the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 SLA Scorecard for Exchange).
- The best practices that Microsoft IT uses in managing its Exchange messaging services.
And here's a brief summary of the best practices Microsoft IT follows:
- Use MOM 2005 to monitor Exchange Server 2003
- Apply MOF best practices.
- Collect metrics by using an automated method.
- Clearly identify the business requirements for the service and map them to appropriate service levels.
- Use the service virtual team approach for service delivery.
- Adopt knowledge management processes that deliver consistent Exchange messaging services at a lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Complete all the details of the service map to understand the dependencies and facilitate SLA and OLA discussions.
- Conduct service review meetings weekly and monthly.