Fri, Jun 20 2008 6:32
New Phishing/Storm Worm Variant Spreading
US-CERT has received reports
of new phishing activity, some of which has been linked to Storm Worm.
The latest activity is centered around messages related to the recent
earthquake in China and the upcoming Olympic Games. This Trojan is
spread via an unsolicited email message that contains a link to a
malicious website. This website contains a video that, when opened, may
run the executable file "beijing.exe" to infect the user's system with
Reports, including a posting by Symantec, indicate that the following subject lines are being used. Please note that subject lines can change at any time.
US-CERT encourages users and administrators to take the following preventative measures to mitgate the security risks:
- The most powerful quake hits China
- Countless victims of earthquake in China
- Death toll in China is growing
- Recent earthquake in china took a heavy toll
- Recent china earthquake kills million
- China is paralyzed by new earthquake
- Death toll in China exceeds 1000000
- A new powerful disaster in China
- A new deadly catastrophe in China
- 2008 Olympic Games are under the threat
- China's most deadly earthquake
US-CERT reminds users to beware of future phishing attacks that may target natural disasters and the Olympic Games.
Filed under: Alerts