Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for now

If we want free antivirus program, we seems to only have few choices now --- Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast.. simply because the simple and great Avira AntiVir has gone to the dark-side by adding the unwanted ASK toolbar.  What is worst is it mislead users by saying it is "Avira Toolbar".  Glad my team and members at Calendarofupdates.com are fast to find it out last June and immediately stopped posting updates on Avira.

Time to logon to my Windows 7 computer and remove Avira.  Will install MSE!

Published Wed, Sep 7 2011 7:33 by donna

Comments

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:04 AM by Eric Vogel

# re: Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for now

I have heard from other PC Techs that MSSE does not catch as much stuff as the others. I think Norton Internet Security and Avast is the way to go.

Some of these free programs if you leave them installed long enough will give you great deals. Antivir has done a great job at my side job. (Business Edition)

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:05 AM by Eric Vogel

# re: Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for now

Looks like Avast keeps getting better.

Change log of the latest version.

forum.avast.com/index.php

Friday, October 28, 2011 1:52 PM by JMerda

# re: Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for now

Forget MSE, it's okay for Mom and Pop but for business use it's just not strong enough.

Avira keeps getting infected too. sadly.

Norton is out of the question, actually, no...

keep Norton, really, then you can hire me to fix the infections it doesn't cover and I'll remove Norton for speed improvements. (yes, this IS true)

For free use,  install Avast, SuperAntispyware, MalwareBytes, and WOT toolbar. Don't visit questionable sites and you go a very long way towards a safer computing experience.

Paid versions I'd recommend are Avast, Eset NOD32, and GData (I use the latter).

If you are interested in antivirus comparisons, go to av-comparitives.org

There are other good antivirus too.

Friday, October 28, 2011 2:00 PM by JMerda

# re: Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for now

An additional comment to my above post is:

Turn off (disable) Windows Defender, it tends to conflict with some antivirus or antispyware products.

Windows Defender is installed by default on Windows 7 computers, maybe even Vista.

Time precludes me from describing how to turn it off on each operating system.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:17 AM by Knight

# re: Stick with Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast for now

You don't have to install the toolbar, just un-check the box and continue the install. AVG also tried to get users to install a toolbar. Avira, Avast, AVG, MSSE are all good Antivirus Programs and will keep the average user safe.