Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

One of CoU calendar moderators, Triple Helix, reported today that Webroot have added back Ask Toolbar again on their installer and it’s pre-checked.  The version that have the Ask Toolbar again is Spy Sweeper v6.1.0 (Build 107)

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=16253&st=80&gopid=75986&#entry75986 with screenshot of the new installer

Published Thu, Mar 12 2009 3:10 by donna

Comments

# Webroot no longer offer ASK Toolbar or Ask Search on its installer - Windows Vista Help Forum

Pingback from  Webroot no longer offer ASK Toolbar or Ask Search on its installer - Windows Vista Help Forum

Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:14 AM by HappyAndyK

# re: Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

Why is Ask so successful in tying up with so many reputed software publishers for pushing its toolbar? Are they offering great money? The compulsions must be too much! It must be a good amount since many are eagerly pushing Ask toolbar installs through their software.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:22 AM by donna

# re: Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

It could be because of few things:

1.  A dollar per install?

2.  Few cents per search keywords?

3.  Many malware scanners lower the bar on Ask.com and did not realize that PUPs is still a risk even though it's low risk.

4.  Privacy does not matter to those malware scanners anymore?

5.  Greed?

6.  It's the "fashion"?

7.  Trying their best to be on top 1 or top 2 search providers?

All or any of the above could be the reason but one thing is for sure... they don't care on what their customers want.  They can easily blame customers for agreeing with the EULA and for not reviewing the installer window.  They don't care about privacy anymore and their excuse is... "there's more nasty one to attend". And it has being taken advantage by PUPs creator.

It's sure great money. Imagine, a dollar or maybe $1.50 or $1.20 per installation of the toolbar with that search service. If they have 100,000 customers, they get $100,000 in instantly.  Poor users who install and support that did not realize that they vendors are enjoying while they continue to pay for subscription or beta-testing the product.

# Security Cadets » Ask.com Toolbar is back with Webroot Software

Pingback from  Security Cadets » Ask.com Toolbar is back with Webroot Software

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:47 AM by Helen

# Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

Go to ADD/Delete Programs and hit remove.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 5:58 PM by Anonymous

# re: Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

...They got millions in revenue last year on this toolbar. Webroot software is poor protection anyway..Use aviyra and malwarebytes for free and get 7 times the protection.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:24 AM by ROCHELLE SMITH

# re: Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

I NEED TO PUT WEBROOT TOOLBAR BECAUSE I TRY THE CODE IT WOUND GO IN

Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:09 AM by Frank

# re: Webroot adds Ask Toolbar again!

Webroot upgraded its spyware software on my computer sticking me with the second-rate Ask toolbar (Ask is helpful with my Dictionary.com program), which I attempted to get rid of but has resulted in a not-responding problem each time my computer awakes from sleep. I am not a computer wiz so these kinds of issue are a big headache for me. My computer, browser, everything was just fine until Webroot updated its spyware program. I WAS MAD AS HELL. For viruses I use Trend Micro AntiVirus (both programs were recommended when I bought the computer at Best Buy). Once my subcription with Webroot finishes, I'm going to switch to Trend Micro for spyware (and pray they do pull the same thing). Too bad, because otherwise I was happy with the Webroot program. All they had to do was ask me if I wanted the crap I didn't need for the update. But they didn't, which is so often the case with these guys. MONEY MONEY MONEY--the customer be damn. Maybe I should just switch to a Mac.