Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Posted Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:32 by Deborah Kurata

Visual Studio 2010 is due to be released on April 12, 2010 and offers many new and useful features (to be detailed in future posts).

Consider upgrading to this release as soon as you can.

If you must continue to use .NET Framework 3.5, you can still upgrade to Visual Studio 2010. By default, when you upgrade a Visual Studio 2008 project that targets .NET Framework 3.5, the new Visual Studio 2010 project will continue to target the .NET Framework 3.5.

So you can have all of the cool features of the new editor without having to upgrade the .NET Framework for all of your users.

When you are ready to move to the .NET Framework 4.0, follow these steps…

In C#:

1. Double-click on Properties under the project in Solution Explorer.
  2. Select the Application tab.
  3. Select .NET Framework 4 from the Target framework list as shown below.

image

In VB:

1. Double-click on My Project under the project in Solution Explorer.
  2. Select the Compile tab.
  3. Click on the Advanced Compile Options button at the bottom of the page.
  4. Select .NET Framework 4 from the Target framework list as shown below.

image

Use these steps any time you want to review or set the framework to target for your application.

Enjoy!

Filed under: , , , ,

Comments

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:07 PM by Rob

I currently have Visual Studio 2008 Professional installed on my laptop. I also have SQL Server 2008 Express installed and Crystal Reports 2008 installed.

Can I upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 Premimum, and if so do I need to do anything to my other installed programs to allow for a good install?

Sincerely,

Rob

robblot@gmail.com

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:36 AM by Deborah Kurata

Hi Rob -

I have VS 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express and did not have any problems installing VS 2010.

I don't have Crystal Reports installed. So I don't have any feedback on it.

Hope this helps.

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:12 AM by Stephen Mouland

We have a copy of 2010, wondering if it's worth the effort to upgrade from 2008 to 2010.

Have you had any problems or issues?

Thanks

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:45 PM by Deborah Kurata

In most cases, the "effort to upgrade" is under a minute of time waiting for Visual Studio to perform its ungrade operation. So there is no real effort involved.

The only hurdle we ran into was with the Database project changes. I blogged about them recently.

Good luck!

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:42 AM by james

Hi i am using Visual studio 2008 professional i want to

upgrade it to 2010

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:43 AM by james

How to upgrade 2008 to 2010

# re: Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010

Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:24 AM by Deborah Kurata

Hi James,

Just open the project with VS 2010 and Visual Studio will automatically upgrade it for you.

Hope this helps.