Guide To AVI Playback In Windows Media Player
An AVI is a container format that will hold audio and video. Windows Media Player does support playback of AVI files, but in the past few years their have been many new codec's developed to compress the audio and the video that is inside the AVI file.
If you are not completely sure about what video codec’s are or do I would suggest installing ffdshow (Download ffdshow-20050630.exe) (Project Homepage). This is a simple DirectShow filter (also called a codec or decoder) that will decode (allow you to play) DivX, XviD, 3ivX, and more.
Getting the Specific Codec You Need
Please follow the steps below to find and download the specific video codec you need to enable Windows Media Player to play your AVI files.
- Download the GSpot Codec Tool
- Install the program
- Open it. Select File | Open and select your AVI file
- Look for the FourCC code for the file's Video Codec
- Visit the FourCC website and find out who develops that codec
- You can now go to that developers website to download your codec. You can also visit the Codec section of wmplugins.
- Note: Do not download anything labeled as a “Codec Pack” or from the links at the top of the FourCC website. This will help you stay out of trouble when playing your files.
If you have the correct codec installed and the video still doesn't play download the GSpot Codec Tool and run your AVI though the program as described above. If you see Failed to render, Missing Chuck or anything along the lines of that your AVI is corrupt. There is little you can do to play your file in Windows Media Player.
Media Advice Archive
Why do I need a codec to play files in the Player?
Where can I get codecs for the Player?
The Player displays "error downloading codec." What can I do?
The Player displays a "missing codec" error. What can I do?
Why do I get an error that says the audio codec identified by a format tag number is required to play this file?
Where can I learn more about codecs for the Player?
Windows Media Player FAQ
My content needs an MJPG (MJPEG) decoder. Where can I get one?
Why didn't the codec download successfully?
When I try to play my .avi file, why do I receive a message stating that "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"?
Why does the Player display a visualization instead of the video when I play an .avi file?