website hit counter Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services - Chris Lanier

Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

By now you have most likely seen what some of the new features of Media Center in Windows 7 are, but don’t think it stops there.  In this series I will go over some of the upcoming features of Media Center in Windows 7.  These features should start appearing in later builds, although some of them will be limited to specific testers.

I’ve been saying for some time now that Media Center needs to get serious about Internet and Web TV.  Microsoft will be taking another step toward this in Windows 7 by integrating online services in the standard EPG (Guide).  Below is a screenshot of the type of integration you can expect.  Wouldn’t it be sweet to get Hulu in here?

image
Published Sun, Nov 16 2008 16:44 by chrisl

Comments

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

Are Vista CableCard users left out in the cold with Windows 7?  Will Microsoft provide an upgrade path for Vista CableCard users so that they can experience these new features?  :|

I hope so.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:08 PM by leonowski

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

Hopefully the picture quality will be better than the current internet TV offering.  It's currently not appealing for anyone who normally watched HD content.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:36 PM by Aaron

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

Any word on Media Center Extenders for Windows 7?  I know its a bit soon but.. will Windows 7 support Vista extenders?  I was thinking about buying a few Linksys extenders but don't want to waste the money if Windows 7 is going to blow them away.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:30 PM by Justin

# Windows7 MCE mit neuem EPG ?!

Chris Lanier's Blog zeigt ein interessantes Detail zum Thema Electronic Program Guide (EPG) im neuen Windows 7 Media Center. So wie es aussieht wird in Zukunft das InternetTV/WebTV/StreamingTV direkt im Media Center EPG erscheinen. Sicherlich wird dies

Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:58 PM by Deutschsprachiger Microsoft Media Center BLOG

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

Just got in the alpha of boxee.tv, I wish media center had half the features boxee has..

if boxee had recoring/guide options it would be my default media center even in this phase

Monday, November 17, 2008 6:26 AM by hoberion

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

It's been said in a few locations, current (V2) extenders that work with Vista will work with Windows 7.

I don't see Microsoft making the same mistake they made with v1 extenders..

Monday, November 17, 2008 8:39 AM by DavidinCT

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

When I read this I thought it meant that VMC was going to come out with a tuner for UVERSE.  How sweet would that of been.

Monday, November 17, 2008 8:42 AM by DanITman

# Windows 7 Internet TV Teaser Screenshot | eHomeUpgrade

Pingback from  Windows 7 Internet TV Teaser Screenshot | eHomeUpgrade

Monday, November 17, 2008 12:40 PM by Windows 7 Internet TV Teaser Screenshot | eHomeUpgrade

# Entertainment 2.0

Pingback from  Entertainment 2.0

Monday, November 17, 2008 12:40 PM by Entertainment 2.0

# Entertainment 2.0

Pingback from  Entertainment 2.0

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:15 PM by Entertainment 2.0

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

The screenshot looks promising, although I'm guessing that MSFT will just port the same Internet TV content into the guide without adding much.

A nice change, nonetheless, provided it doesn't interfere with browsing my physical channels in the guide.

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:29 PM by Brad

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

Why are they able to use the network logos in the internet TV feature but not next to the actual TV channels in the EPG?  As far as the internet TV feature -- seems like it's nothing new but it looks great in its new package!

So... when are they adding native DirecTV?

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:37 PM by KoloKotroni

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

Dam, and we gota wait till 2009/2010 before we can even try it...ugh

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:45 AM by DavidinCT

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

I'd be happy if it would just talk to my cable box so i could record the shows I pay for.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:21 AM by Harry D

# re: Upcoming Windows 7 Media Center Feature: Broadband TV Services

You must have a version higher than 6801. Can you disclose any other insider information? UI changes? Is it feature complete?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:23 PM by Brian Zellinger

# Interscription» Blog Archive » NXE: My Wishlist

Pingback from  Interscription» Blog Archive » NXE: My Wishlist

Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:53 PM by Interscription» Blog Archive » NXE: My Wishlist