website hit counter Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center - Chris Lanier

Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Hauppauge has taken tourch from AVerMedia and created an unencrypted QAM plug-in for Vista Media Center.  It is supported on the HVR-1250, HVR-1600, HVR-1800, and HVR-2250.  Both Windows Vista x86 and x64 are supported as well, other information can be found here.

This is a beta plug-in, so as always approach with caution.  You can download the plug-in here.

Published Wed, May 14 2008 23:07 by chrisl

Comments

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Does the plug in work with two tuners in Media Center, or just one?

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:50 AM by Alfred

# Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Chris Lanier has details of an beta plugin for Hauppauge HVR-1250, HVR-1600, HVR-1800 and HVR-2250 that

Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:17 AM by Ian Dixon's Blog

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

I respect you Chris, and I know you live in North America. Dont know why you keep posting the news, when Microsoft keeps giving you the run-around.

Qam Ocur etc etc, might be a concern for your avarage North american user. Same goes with QAM support. In Europe WFT?

Hardware vendors IN EUROPE are tricking MCE to accept their hardware. Actually we do have Qam support this way. This goes for digital cable, satellite and terrestrial.

MCE Developement has been at a stand still since Emerald, so why even bother with MCE.

No bluray

No H.264 LiveTV

No DVB-s

No DVB-c

Hardware extenders are poorly made, supporting only fractions of avalable formats  Yet still no h.264, no DVDextending, no bluray. For an adittional 80$ we get at retro DVD drive?

Then We get WHS? Perfect platform for softsled? But it cant really do anything that Windows 2003 STD cant do. And comparing OEM prices.. You get my point.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:54 AM by Patriarken

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Oh sweet awaiting min review to see if it works well :)

Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:29 AM by dejitaru

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Patriarken:  The main reason I don't cover TV outside the US is because I'm not as educated on the technologies, companies, and features.  Frankly, I only have time to learn so much about the rest of the world.  When people send me stuff about TV outside the US, I try my best to cover it.

As I've said for the past 6 months or so, I think the next Media Center release will bring a lot of the needed framework for TV outside the US.  I know DVB-S support and H.264 will be there because they are used for DIRECTV over here.

No Extender will ever support every format, it is just not possible.  v2 Extenders support H.264.

Microsoft hasn't given any runaround about this stuff, in fact they never say anything which is part of the problem.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:23 AM by chrisl

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Where are these drivers actually coming from?

Are they truely from Hauppauge?

They don't have anything under the Beta section on their own page.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:54 AM by Tom

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Yes, they are from Hauppauge.  SHS is a well known Hauppauge enthusiast.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:12 PM by chrisl

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

So does anyone know if these drivers work with more than one tuner concurrently?

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:43 AM by Al

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

theres no guide mapping so all you can do is scan for qam in media center and pick up the channels but not mapping them to the guide means you cant watch them

Friday, May 16, 2008 7:35 AM by Matt

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Can you add the channels to the guide in settings?  I just added a non-existent cable channel here as a test and it added.  It was all fuzz but it added the channel.  If you can add channels based on the scanned channel numbers let me know.  I am about to run out and get a hauppauge card for this function alone.  Q.

Friday, May 16, 2008 9:38 AM by ChiWax

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

I have the Avermedia combo PCI-e card (1 ATSC/QAM and 1 NTSC tuner) with their beta QAM drivers. It works great, but I cannot get the guide working 100% right w/ this either. It also seems that the NTSC tuner doesn't do anything when the QAM one is being used.

I would also love to know if the Hauppauge beta will allow two QAM's to happen at the same time, and if the guide linking problem can be resolved to allow automatic guide updates as one would expect.

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:46 PM by FroBozz

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Well the scan just shows the amout of channels it finds it doesnt however show the channel numbers

correct me if im wrong but i think the avermedia actully exports the channels found to the epg guide so no manual adding needed

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:27 PM by Matt

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

I tried out the QAM plugin for vista with my Hauppauge 1600 (I get the qam channels in wintv 6). When I scanned, the scanner found 44 channels. After reboot, nothing! I don't have any changes in my channel line up (still only listing the local OTA channels) and no signal to those without the antenna.

Is there a forum for us to work on this beta with folks? I'd love to perservere and get this up and working...

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:39 PM by will

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

I also tried the beta drivers with HVR-1800. I got the same problem. I did have changes to my channel lineup but when I tuned to a channel all I got was a black screen. I have two OTA ATSC tuners (ATI 600 USB and the HVR-1800). After configuring the tuners for OTA ATSC and before running the plugin for QAM, since I disconnected my HVR-1800 from the antenna and hooked it up to the coax for cable it never attempts to tune the OTA stations using the other tuner so it seems that I cannot have the HVR-1800 setup for QAM and NTSC and the other OTA ATSC tuner configured for OTA ATSC at the same time. Finally I tried to scan again using the plug-in for QAM, and the second time through it only found 1 channel, the first time through it found 13. I would really like to get this to work. If anyone has any ideas.....

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:43 PM by clint

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Hello.. I think I got this to work with the cable straight from the wall. I followed the instructions and I had to manually got to the folder with the new driver to install it. After I did the scan I got 33 channels. I believe I am getting digital only because with the local HD channels I get sound but no picture(green screen). The channels I do get show that they are digital dolby. I can record both digital and analog at the same time with my 1600. Oh I used the hcwclear.exe to uninstall the card first.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:11 PM by Jeff

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

I too am experiencing the blank screen after it finds 40 or so channels.  What gives?  And the best question of the day from Will, "where is the forum for the beta testers?"

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:53 PM by Mike

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Seconding Mike's call for a beta-tester forum... Same exact problem on a fresh install of vista ultimate...  using the 1250 I get 37 clear QAM detected, blank screen after reboot...

I've also got a pvr150 and HDTV Wonder (in analog mode)

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:25 PM by Gabe

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

I too would like to participate in a beta forum. I can't get it to work for anything. I'm using two 1600's on Vista HP with SP1. I have no other tuners.

I follow the instructions and the plugin finds about 42 clear channels. But when I reboot and go to the guide, none of the channels are listed. I can setup the guide to show the OTA channels but nothing on the signal strenght indicator for them.

It just doesn't want to work.

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:49 PM by Chris

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Ok i got it working finally. Im running Vista Sp1 with Dual HVR-1600's and yes both work to record HD Qam and Analog! >=) It works with my media extenders too, but this is how i did it. I followed the steps and nothing happened, so i read about how it it gets its info from the OTA channels. So i manually added the channel numbers that my TV picks up via qam tunner, ie. 42.1 ABC local, 36.1 NBC, and so forth. After i added them, i went and mapped their infomation off my basic local analog channels. I then ran the QAM utility scan, and restarted pc. Voila! now it pics up the channels as if they were their ota counterparts. Only one channel didnt map, but i think its cuz it has mutiple streams, like 38.1 .2 .3 so not sure which one has the picture. Works perfectly so far, been recording lots of hd programing >=) The best part is that all my tvs can access it. Good luck to everyone!

Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:42 PM by Raymond

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

How did you get it to accept numbers such as 46.1? When I try to type channel number it does not accept dots?

Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:06 PM by Josh

# re: Hauppauge Releases QAM Plug-in for Vista Media Center

Just insatalled the QAM plugin for my HVR-1600 and it's working great in Vista's Media Center (Cablevision).

www.dslreports.com/.../r20728283-Re-iO-Using-a-HD-ATSC-PC-TV-Tuner-with-CV

Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:47 AM by howie

# Creating a Vista Media Center HD PVR « bunja!

Pingback from  Creating a Vista Media Center HD PVR « bunja!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:04 PM by Creating a Vista Media Center HD PVR « bunja!