website hit counter HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In (Maybe) - Chris Lanier

HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In (Maybe)

HP MediaSmart HDTV with Vista Media Center Extender (Engadget) | It looks like HP might be the first to release an Extender TV.  According to Engadget, the newest HP MediaSmart HDTV’s will feature built in Media Center Extenders (Pika).  They will include a 42" and 47" 1080p LCD, Integrated Ethernet and 802.11 a/b/g/n, 3 HDMI ports, and more.

No photos of it running the Extender software, but I’d bet one will pop-up sometime during CES.

Update: HP says nothing about this unit having a built-in Media Center Extender.  Starting to look like Engadget got it wrong.

Published Mon, Jan 8 2007 9:54 by chrisl

Comments

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

Upon reading the pdf:

It looks like a Upnp device not a Media Center Extender. I hope that is not the case with all of the video formats it supports.

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:39 AM by Matt

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

my question is, will these extenders have the power to play streamed 1080p content --- like managed copies of HD-DVDs when that gets sorted out.

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:49 AM by Josh B

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

It's like Christmas all over again.  Keep them coming Chris.

Really glad to see this, I think it validates the platform to see companies adding this technology to other devices.

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:51 AM by Eric

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

The HP Media Portal software is a UPnP-type DMR, again I'm hoping that Engadget's report is right.

They might not have shown the MCX functionality because they had it tired to the HP MediaSmart Server (running WHS) which doesn't support playback on MCX devices.

Who knows, I'm hoping that Engadget got it right, but that PDF doesn't back it up.

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:52 AM by chrisl

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

Josh, I would expect the v2 Extenders to have the needed horsepower to decode HD DVD content.

Monday, January 08, 2007 11:00 AM by chrisl

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:52 AM by Ben Drawbaugh

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In

Ben, none of those shots are of the Extender functions, are they?

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:42 AM by chrisl

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In (Maybe)

Bought one. Drove it for a week.  Took it back.  No Media Center Extender.  The way it "Connects to a Media Center PC" is as a monitor (a little creative marketing from HP).  Beyond this misdirection it will not even play media center content.  It claims to support dvr-ms files but you can't actually play them.  HP support insists that it really does support dvr-ms but since there is no way to stream them into the set there is no way to actually play them.  I asked for further clarification about what this meant and received none.  This device is a big disappointment to me.  I thought we had really seen the "convergence" begin.  Instead it looks like HP fumbled on the 1 yard line.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:20 PM by Mike

# re: HP MediaSmart HDTV with Media Center Extender Built-In (Maybe)

That's for the post Mike.  I sadly assumed that Engadget got it wrong.  :(