Disable Most Recently Used Media In MCE 2005 (Or Add Functionality!)
Some people might like how Media Center remembers your most recently played media on the Start Page. I however, hate it! Here's how you can disable it, and Matt
you can add this to your pile of suggestions for the next version of TweakMCE.
I know it can be done now. ;-)
- Start | Run | Type “regedit”
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\MRU
- Delete the current MRU objects for PicturesMRU, VideosMRU
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\Audio\MRU
- Delete the current objects
- Right click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\Audio\MRU and choose Permissions
- Click on Advancted
- Highlight your Username and click Edit
- Check “Deny” for Set Vaule
- Right click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\MRU\PicturesMRU and do the same
- Right click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\MRU\VideosMRU and do the same.
While this will disable it, the same techniques can be used to create static entries. So, say there is a playlist or album you want to always have easy access to on the Start Page, use the exact same method. The only difference will be to first delete the MRU objects, but then go into Media Center and play the media you wish to have static, and then Deny the Permissions.
These apply on a per-user basis. Meaning, if you have many user accounts on your Media Center system, you need to do the process above in all accounts.
Notes: This is clearly not supported by Microsoft and is given “AS IS” for you to possibly screw over your system. Always backup your system before making any registry changes. Don't blame me if something gets screw up, you should of had a backup. :-) Having said that, you should be fine, just don't Deny Permissions to anything else you see! Not allowing yourself to make other registry changes means other settings would not be saved.