website hit counter Windows Media Connect Platform! - Chris Lanier

Windows Media Connect Platform!

I have had the chance to play around with a device using Windows Media Connect (WMC) for the last few months, I have to say that I love it!

Here are just a few of the ways you can use Media Connect to bring the entertainment you have stored on your computer to every room in your house:

All your music at your fingertips. Copy your personal CDs to your Windows XP–based computer, and then create playlists to play all your music on your home stereo system through a digital audio receiver. No more shuffling and replacing CDs.

• Play music that you've purchased from an online store on your home stereo system through a digital audio receiver.
  • Play video that you've purchased from an online store on your TV through a digital media receiver, connected DVD player, or set-top box.
  • Play home videos stored on your computer on your TV through a digital media receiver, DVD player, or set-top box.
  • View photos stored on your computer on your TV through a digital media receiver, connected DVD player, or set-top box.

Windows Media Connect

Published Tue, Oct 12 2004 17:57 by chrisl
Filed under:

Comments

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

I just installed this, any Idea if I can use it to serve media to other comouters on my home network. Using Media player as the client?

Wednesday, December 01, 2004 4:48 AM by chrisl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

Sunday, February 06, 2005 4:50 AM by chrisl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

Folder sharing cannot be started. The dependency service or group failed to start? I've tried all of Microsoft's "fix" ideas. any new ones?

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:43 PM by chrisl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

The reason WMC isn't useful is because there are hardly any non-appliance clients for it! Sometimes, you might want to play music from 1 pc on another pc -- WMC doesn't do this.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:31 PM by chrisl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

Martin, that like complaining that the problem with car tires is that they are only usefull for cars and don't work well on bicycles. From my understanding, WMC is desinged simply for the purpose of being a server for appliance devices.

If you want to stream to another PC, why not just use plain old windows file sharing?

Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:39 AM by chrisl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

Reid: It sounds like you had an install failure. To fix it you should try uninstalling and then re-installing. If that doesn't do the trick post back and I'll give you manual steps to try to fix the installation.

Steve: My guess would be that the UPnP or SSDP service is disabled. You can look in the services mmc snap-in to verify.

We just posted a new version which doesn't have a lot of the dependencies the last version had. You can also try it if the solutions above don't work for you:

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:59 PM by chrisl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

"I just installed windows media connect and I get the following error:Folder sharing cannot be started. The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

^^I have the same problem. I use wmc for my 360. I use windows media center edition 2005 roll update 2 on my pc. One day my 360 just stopt reconizing the pc. Now if I go to wmc I see the 'sharing folders' option greyed out and I cant use that option. When I try and start folder sharing it gives me the same error Reid has above me. My 360 does recon the media center and I can enter it but I cant stream any pics or music anymore. :(

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:53 PM by Red

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

i have the same problem - i got it to work for about 5 min by removing .net 2.0 but then it stopped again can anyone help me?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:21 AM by adam

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

problems starting or connecting to WMC are probably related to your windows firewall. even if you think it is disabled it still can be running and blocking stuff. read this and try to figure out if there is something wrong with your windows firewall:

Saturday, August 26, 2006 1:44 AM by Carl

# re: Windows Media Connect Platform!

I am running into the same issues as above - but nothing I do with y service permissions is helping.  All the dependent services are running (except UPNP - that does a quick start and stop - not sure if that is right).

What are the manual steps?  I miss being able to use my 360 to play my music.

Blake