Microsoft releases Chart Controls for .Net 3.5 SP1 - and they're free!!!!
Microsoft just recently released some very handy .Net Chart Controls for .Net 3.5 and does require SP1 - something which i've been waiting forever to see.
These controls are very crisp looking and come in both 3D and 2D versions. There's a whole range of chart types available.
I'm going to have a serious play with them and see what capabilities these controls offer. I hope they include AJAX capability (for the ASP.Net ones that is) and that we can extend them if we need to.
This was announced on Scott Guthrie's blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/11/24/new-asp-net-charting-control-lt-asp-chart-runat-quot-server-quot-gt.aspx
Here's a few links for those of us too lazy to dig them up ourselves (thanks Scott!):
Web and Winform samples:
Chart Control Language Packs:
.Net 3.5 SP1:
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 3
- .NET Framework: .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Processor: 400 MHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Minimum); 1GHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Recommended)
- RAM:96 MB (Minimum); 256 MB (Recommended)
- Hard Disk: Up to 500 MB of available space may be required
- CD or DVD Drive: Not required
- Display: 800 x 600, 256 colors (Minimum); 1024 x 768 high color, 32-bit (Recommended)
As usual, it pays to keep an eye out on Scott's blog. Now i just hope they're easier to implement than some of the other third party vendor controls i've been working with in the past. Some has been an absolute nightmare to get working, some has used nifty Wizard-like UIs inside Visual Studio and others have "professed" to have capabilities for supporting AJAX where it was soon discovered that it was only in "some" scenarios (eg, the exact single scenario they had displayed).
Apparently the sample project from CodePlex contains more than 200 examples - i guess now its just up to me to have a real play with it.