Mon, Jun 14 2010 22:59
Error 646 with Office Compat updates
The second dead body issue I'm seeing is error 646 with the Office compat updates.
The proposed workaround is posted here:
Here's what I recommend you to do:
1. Turn off User Account Control (UAC). Don't just lower down the restrictions - turn it off completely. See below on how to disable/enable it.
2. Restart your computer for the change to take into effect.
3. Re-download Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982331) from the link below:
4. Install it. It should be working fine.
5. If it still does not work, go to Windows Update client (for Vista and Windows 7) by clicking on Start and type "Windows Update" on the Start Search textbox. Windows Update window will then appear. Click "Install Updates".
6. If it still does not work, try to open any or all of your MS Office applications (like MS Word, MS Excel, etc).
7. Follow Steps # 3-4.
8. If it still does not work, follow step # 3 again. After downloading it, try to disconnect your computer from the internet (either unplug the internet cable or turn off the modem). Then, try to install the downloaded (KB982331). It must be working this time.
Let me know your findings.
Filed under: Security
DISCLAIMER: This is only a workaround - not a resolution. We will do our absolute best to find the resolution for everyone.