Mon, Sep 14 2009 1:23
Getting 2007 to run
Installing QB 2007 on a 64bit SBS 2008.... can it be done? Let's see.
So first we launch the setup on the server itself...
Click on "more than one computer"
Install on the file server
Check for updates
Install .net 1.1 (ick but that's what it wants)
It will also install sp1 for .net 1.1
Then you have to 'add the folder' where the QB file is located
Make sure you are running the latest version
A Quickbooks Webpatch.exe will download. To get it to run on the server, I had to go into the advanced system settings and exclude the webpatch from DEP
After you install the update it will want to reboot the box...
You will also see now in services...
But we're not done yet... we need these poked in the firewall
PLEASE NOTE I'm showcasing 2007 here... 2008 and 2009 are TOTALLY different
These are the exclusions you'll want to add to the workstations...
The following files must be granted access through your firewall on Port 10172 for both Incoming and Outgoing Traffic:
(personally I think I'd just poke a permanent hole in port 10172 in the firewall rules for Vista and XP)
Now mind you, you don't have to do this domain/work/public like I did... but I was kinda in a mood.
Do a gpupdate /force on the server and the workstation and then look at the firewall on the workstation to see if the group policy hole "took"
(this is on a Win7)
- FileManagement.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [2007 or Enterprise Solutions 7.0]
- QBCFMonitorService.exe located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
- QBDBMgr.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [2007 or Enterprise Solutions 7.0]
- QBDBMgrN.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [2007 or Enterprise Solutions 7.0]
- QBGDSPlugin.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [2007 or Enterprise Solutions 7.0]
- QBW32.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [2007 or Enterprise Solutions 7.0]
- QBUpdate.exe located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate
On the server itself you'll want to do the database manager and the ports.
Click on start, Windows firewall, then allow a program through the firewall, click continue on the UAC prompt.
Click on "add program" and specifically add
If you need to install QB 2007 "on" a 64bit workstation be aware of the PDF printer issue...
Solving QuickBooks Problems on 64 bit Vista : Practical QuickBooks:
More info is included in there regarding that issue. And they will definitely need to be admins on the Win7 machines...or push out those registry stuff on the systems to allow them to run without admin rights
Bottom line can Quickbook 2007 run on SBS 2008... a little hacking here... a little DEPing there... but yes, it can.
Filed under: quickbooks