Tue, Feb 26 2008 0:12
A little corrupted printer
Recently I had an issue where my default printer kept flipping to the OneNote printer. No matter what settings I did in a few days I'd find it flipped to that printer.
In the Vista managed newsgroups I happened to spot this post which was very very similar....
Thank you for your post here.
From the description, I understand that you are unable to set default
printer on Vista client. If I am off base, please feel free to let me know.
As the default printer is Microsoft OneNote, please check if you can switch
to any newly-installed printer.
Also, please tell me if there's any error message displayed when you try to
set default printer.
This issue can be caused if OneNote printer driver is corrupted. If you do
not use OneNote, you can simply delete the printer from Printers folder. If
you do use OneNote, you can follow the steps below to reinstall OneNote:
1. Quit all Windows programs.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
3. In the list of installed programs, select Microsoft Office 2007, and
then click Change/Remove.
4. In the Office Maintenance Mode dialog box, click Add / Remove features.
5. Select Microsoft OneNote 2007 and click on the option that say Not
6. Click on Update, this would Uninstall OneNote 2007.
7. Reinstall OneNote 2007 from Maintenance Mode, follow the steps above and
to install OneNote 2007 select the option that says Available in step
Recently Nick (the naked) MVP reported on an issue where no matter what he or his staff did they could not set a default printer in Vista. No matter what it would revert to the Microsoft XPS driver.
Told Nick to delete that XPS printer and see if that did the trick. So far it seems to have.
Filed under: Vista