Mon, Jan 31 2005 20:43
Big server land versus Little Server Land
There is one thing that both Dr. Jesper Johansson and Steve Riley say in a lot of presentations...they say that “Account lockout has no value”, that it will “cause a denial of service”. And this is ONE area that I timidly disagree and say... sirs? I think we can handle this.
- Big server land knows that account lockouts cost $70 a help desk call.
- Little server land says “it doesn't happen that much and we can handle it”
- Big server land says “this is the number one PSS support call“
- Little server land says... “how we set up DNS is OUR number one support issue“
- Big server land says that someone could do a denial of service against our website.
- Little server land says ...”uh...we recommend you don't host a website if you want to be nice and paranoid”
- Big server land says it adds no additional security.
- Little server land says ...”that may be for you, but it lets us sleep better at night”
I think we can handle account lockout. What do you think?
Filed under: Rants