I'm stealing a newsgroup post from Chris Puckett!
To Obtain Exmerge.exe
1. To download Exmerge.exe, visit the following Microsoft Web site
2. This download is a self-extracting executable. Double click Exmerge.exe
to extract the files to the location of your choice.
3. Once the files are extracted copy the exmerge.exe program to the
C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\bin folder.
Preparing the SBS 2003 Server to Run Exmerge
By default in Exchange 2003, organization administrators and domain
administrators inherit the Allow permission in addition to the Deny
permission for the Receive As permission and the Send As permission. To
use ExMerge, the accounts that use this utility must have the Send As
permission and the Receive As permission.
To grant these permissions to the Administrator account to use ExMerge,
follow these steps:
1. Click "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Microsoft Exchange",
and then click "System Manager".
2. In Exchange System Manager, locate the Mailbox Store under "
3. Right-click the Mailbox Store, click "Properties", click the "Security"
tab, and then click "Advanced".
4. On the Permissions tab, uncheck the box "Allow inheritable permissions
from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include
these with entries explicitly defined here. Click "Apply" and click "Copy"
on the security popup.
5. Remove the Deny entries for the Receive As and Send As permissions on
the Administrator account, Domain Admins group, and the Enterprise Admins
6. Click Apply. Click Yes on the security popup. Click Yes on the
Permissions warning popup.
7. Make sure that the "Send As" check box and the "Receive As"
check box are selected under the "Allow" column in the "Permissions"
list for the Administrator account, Domain Admins group, and the
Enterprise Admins group.
Note Make sure that the "Send As" check box and the "Receive As"
check box are not selected under the "Deny" column in the "Permissions"
8. Click "OK" to close the "Properties" dialog box.
Importing data into the Mailbox Store
1. Before you import data into a new Exchange store, log on to any mailbox
on that Exchange store, and send a test message to every mailbox on the
server. If you do not do this, ExMerge.exe will not detect any mailboxes
that have not been logged on to or that have not received any mail.
This step is necessary only when you run the program using the two-step
merge and import data into a Microsoft Exchange Information Store. This is
because the program gets the list of mailboxes from the Exchange store, and
if no Exchange store object exists for a mailbox, the program will skip
1a. By default in SBS 2003, a 200 MB mailbox store limit
is imposed on all mailboxes. If any of the .pst's you import are greater
than 200 MB, only 200 MB worth of data will be imported into the Exchange
mailbox and then exmerge will report a failure on that mailbox. You can
modify or remove these storage limits prior to running exmerge to avoid
this. See article 319583 below for the location of the mailbox store
limits. The location is the same in Exchange 2003 as Exchange 2000.
319583 HOW TO: Configure Storage Limits on Mailboxes in Exchange 2000
Or Look on Mariette and Marina's site
2. Double-click the C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\bin\exmerge.exe
3. On the "Welcome to the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge
Wizard" screen, click Next.
4. Select "Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure)" and click Next.
5. Select "Step 2: Import data into an Exchange Server Mailbox"
and click Next.
6. Type the Exchange Server (SBS) computer name that is found in the
Exchange System Manager program and click Next.
Note For more information on the data selection criteria available within
the Options button refer to the Mailbox Merge Wizard (Exmerge).doc
file that was extracted from the Exmerge download.
7. Select the mailboxes that you want to import, or click
"Select All", and then click "Next".
8. Select the appropriate mailbox locale and click Next.
9. On the Target Directory screen, click "Change Folder" and
browse to the directory in which the program should find the
existing .pst files. Click "OK" to accept your selection and
10. On the Save Settings screen click Next. The import will begin.
11. Once it is complete, click Finish.