This month's Microsoft FU awards...
Wed, Nov 21 2007 12:57
Despite VB being the *most popular* language on .NET, many teams over at Microsoft like to give VB the finger. But before I start on this month's FU awards, a big anti-fu award (aka kudos) goes to Don Box who said :
"I'd be an idiot not to walk in their shoes as much as possible"
Sadly, other teams at Microsoft still don't get that. So onto the FU list of shame for this month:
- First mention just has to go to the XNA team. Their continual bigotry is outstanding
- The Windows Workflow Foundation Hosting Quickstart Sample comes in at second place, delivering only C# templates. Well it's not like anyone who writes in VB would want templates for that now is it ?
- A contender for equal first place is the Windows Media Centre SDK team who sends out a very big FU to all you wanting to code in VB. They must figure media centre is too advanced for VB folk
- The Health SDK team only gets a minor mention this month as they release new downloads but still haven't included VB samples even after being requested to. Eric won the previous month's FU arrogance award.
- Arguably the number one spot has to go to the Visual Studio SDK team. They've released the 2008 SDK again with no VB samples for Controls, Debugger, DSL tools, Project or Team System Test. Like 2005 we'll probably have to wait 2 or 3 years till version 4 is released before they even think about releasing the VB samples as a separate download. Way to go team !!
So to this month's top five FU award winners, congratulations ! I salute you with my middle finger.