Multiple CA0053 errors with Visual Studio 11 Beta
I hate it when the Internet doesn’t know the answer – and doesn’t even have the question – to a problem I’m experiencing.
Because it was released during the MVP Summit, I was able to download the Visual Studio 11 Beta and run it on a VS2010 project.
There’s no “conversion wizard”, which bodes well, because it suggests that I will be able to use this project in either environment (Visual Studio 2010 or the new VS11 beta) without any problems. And certainly, the project I selected to try worked just fine in Visual Studio 11 and when I switched back to Visual Studio 2010.
Unfortunately, one of the things that I noticed when building my project is that the code analysis phase crapped out with fourteen instances of the CA0053 error:
As you can see, this is all about being unable to load rule assemblies from the previous version of Visual Studio – and is more than likely related to me installing the x64 version of Visual Studio 11 Beta, which therefore can’t load the 32-bit (x86) DLLs from Visual Studio 2010.
Curiously this problem only exists on one of the projects in my multi-project solution, and of course I couldn’t find anywhere in the user interface to reset this path.
I thought for a moment I had hit on something when I checked the project’s options, and found the Code Analysis tab, but it didn’t seem to matter what I did to change the rule set, there was no place to select the path to that rule set.
Then I decided to go searching for the path in the source tree.
There it was, in the project’s “.csproj” file – two entries in the XML file, CodeAnalysisRuleSetDirectories and CodeAnalysisRuleDirectories. These consisted of the simple text:
<CodeAnalysisRuleSetDirectories>;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\\Rule Sets</CodeAnalysisRuleSetDirectories>
<CodeAnalysisRuleDirectories>;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\\Rules</CodeAnalysisRuleDirectories>
As you can imagine, I wouldn’t normally suggest editing files by hand that the interface normally takes care of for you, but it’s clear that in this case, the interface wasn’t helping.
So, I just closed all currently open copies of Visual Studio (all versions), and edited the file in notepad. I kept the entries themselves, but deleted the paths:
Errors gone; problem solved.
You’re welcome, Internet.