Discover Your Strengths
Last week my boss gave everyone in my group a book to read based on Strength Based Management. The name of this book is Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham & Donald Clifton. I haven't gotten very far in the book but the basis of it is to find your strengths and grow them instead of your weaknesses. I know I personally have always thought that I should take the things i'm not to good at and try to make them better but this is another approach. I'll try it out for awhile and let you know how it goes.
One of the really cool things you get with the book is a code to go to www.strengthsfinder.com. Using that code you take an exam that take about 20 minutes and helps you discover your strengths. You may not have mastered these strengths as of yet but it is interesting to see the outcome. Here is a look at mine:
- People strong in the Belief theme have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for their life.
- People strong in the Self-Assurance theme feel confident in their ability to manage their own lives. They possess an inner compass that gives them confidence that their decisions are right.
- People strong in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb.
- People who are strong in the Relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.
- People strong in the Communication theme generally find it easy to put their thoughts into words. They are good conversationalists and presenters.
Well i'm glad to a couple things up there. First of the top one in my opinion is right. Those that really know me know that my opinion doesn't change easily if at all and that I put a great amount of trust in my family and friends. I'm also not surprised to see Communication up there...well lets just say if it wasn't the last 8 years of my life might have been a lie. [;)]
What do you think? Feel free to leave a comment and let me know.